Thursday 9 May 2013

Goodness Gracious - Great Balls Of Fire!

Hi Guys ☺

So yesterday me and my mum did our occasional evening ritual of getting a bottle of wine out of the fridge, settling down on the sofa and putting on a good film. We decided to watch "Great Balls Of Fire" the Jerry Lee Lewis life story.

Okay so you may have to be a fan of Rock n Roll or at least a music(al) fan to enjoy this film, but I'd say it was worth watching either way. Being a fan of Rock n Roll myself I really appreciate this film. I knew bits and pieces of the story before I had watched it, but it certainly didn't ruin it.

Direction was very good and Jerry Lee and his family must have had a good influence on this film, because it seemed very accurate and within the boundaries that would be allowed by such a star. Dennis Quaid... not the person I would immediately think of when I think of someone that could play the arrogant, yet lovable and overexcited Jerry Lee. However what a performance, for anyone who knows about the famous lively, almost over grown child that Jerry Lee was on stage, this performance couldn't give more justice. My first experience of Dennis Quaid was as a slightly older man playing the Dad in the re make of the film "Parent Trap" (starring Lyndsay Lohan). Despite him playing the part well, I got the impression that he was a type cast rugged good looking dad type actor... that was until yesterday. He portrayed every part of Jerry Lee's "wild" personality and made the audience love his character, empathise with his character and ultimately back this character in all of the challenges he faces. Very good casting.

Next Winona Ryder, well I was impressed with her too. When I see Winona Ryder in films I spend a lot of time staring at her face and wondering how it's possible that she looks so much like Natalie Portman, who in turn looks like Keira Knightly - Triplets separated at birth? Anyway I digress. Ryder plays Jerry Lee's young second cousin "twice removed", as she states in the film. For those of you who don't know, Jerry Lee married this girl when she was 13 and naturally certain States in the USA and most of England/UK had something to say about it. Despite the fact that Ryder was 18 when she played this part, she portrays the innocent 13 year old perfectly, knowing what she wants and knowing that she loves Jerry Lee and yet, being young and naive, too young perhaps to be a wife? A good scene that perfectly depicts the age difference and yet the obvious love between the two, is the scene where Quaid comes in and finds Ryder crying on the floor of the kitchen, whilst smoke billows from the oven area. This scene is perfectly directed and shows the issues the real couple had together. Myra (Ryder) is crying and she looks at Jerry (Quaid) and says "I'm only 13, I don't know how to be a wife" and on that note Jerry picks her up and scoops her into his arms and says that not-so-famous line "you're all woman to Jerry Lee". This is a wonderful scene as you know the two really love each other despite the age gap, the judging public and the trials they face(d).

To sum up I thought this was a film worth watching, again perhaps only if you're a fan/interested in that sort of biographical film. But despite the film being an apparent "box office flop" I would definitely recommend it.
I'd give it 3 Stars at least...

That's All Folks...

Fay♥



Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis


No comments:

Post a Comment